Thursday, January 1, 2009

A General Update

Hi everyone, sorry to have been AWOL. Thought I'd give everyone a general update. Henry lost a declaw a couple weeks ago. It started out that it was loose, I called the Vet and she said wrap it (not too tight) and hopefully it will callous over. Henry managed to get his vet wrap off when I was not looking, and ended up amputating the dewclaw by himself 95%. By this time it was late evening and my husband was at work, and had the van (our only vehicle) and we were in the middle of a blizzard. I called the vet, and she said if you can pull it off cleanly without traumatizing him, do it. Otherwise see if he can get it off the rest of the way himself. So I waited to see if Henry could get the rest of the dewclaw off himself. He would lick his dewclaw gently, but that was it. Henry started to pant and have Focal seizures from the stress and pain. I gave him an extra grain of Phenobarbital per the Vet's instructions. I then managed to cleanly pull the dewclaw off. Fortunately it came off with ease as it was barely hanging on. I put Neosporin on the area and gently wrapped it in gauze and vetwrap and right away Henry felt alot better. I put him on Cephalexin (antibiotic) as a pre-caution. I am happy to say this antibiotic caused absolutely no problems with Henry's epilepsy, unlike Flagyl, another antibiotic.

By the way, Henry is 88 days Grand-Mal free today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comments:

Kara said...

I'm so happy for you! The warm weather sounds enticing to us all right now!
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. :)